Google Ads; While all investments are digitized at a fast pace, we now make purchasing decisions by looking at digital screens. Rapid digitization also digitalizes the marketing activities of brands and increases digital marketing investments day by day. Therefore, with the growing sector, new experts are needed. Especially considering the supply and demand imbalance in the world, it will not be a bad idea to shape career plans as a digital marketing expert.
So what is a digital marketing expert, what does it do? I will try to give you a very comprehensive answer by dividing it into lego pieces. Let’s look at Google Ads together, which is an important part of Digital Marketing.
What is Google Ads?
An online advertising service developed by Google where advertisers pay to reach users with different ad types in line with their goals using Google’s advertising network.
Why do companies prefer to allocate a portion of their marketing budget to Google Ads? I suggest you take a look at Google’s Youtube channel Learn with Google videos.
How do I become a Google Ads expert?
You need some theoretical knowledge, lots of experience. Although the technical documentation will give you the initial steps you need, it is your experience in setting up and optimizing the account.
How can I become an expert in a short time?
I think it is in the top 5 among the most frequently asked questions. None of us have time or want to learn and feel comfortable in a short time. Although this is not a secret formula; Since it is closely related to experience, I recommend you to work with a team that has a high level of knowledge and likes to share experiences.
Google Ads Expertise and Certification
In the beginning, you can check out the learning center where Google shares the information for free. The information you receive here will prepare you for the Google Ads certification exams.
Let’s take a look at the certificate exams waiting for you.
To get the Google Ads certification, you must first pass the Fundamentals exam, and then pass one of the specialty exams. You will also receive a new certificate after each specialist exam you pass. Do not worry, you can not pass the exam, as well as free after 1 day you can try your luck again.
Google Ads Basic (Required): Includes basic and intermediate advertising, campaign management and optimization.
Search Advertising: It is more practice-oriented than the basic exam. Includes creating, managing, and optimizing ad campaigns on the Search Network.
Display Advertising: The advanced test for creating, managing and optimizing Display Network campaigns.
Mobile Advertising: A basic and advanced quiz that includes mobile ad formats, bidding and targeting, campaign settings, and optimization.
Video Advertising: It includes the management and optimization of video advertising campaigns on Youtube and the web.
Shopping Advertising: Shopping advertising requires a Merchant Center account. With this account, the products are uploaded to the product feed manually or by xml. This includes basic and advanced topics, including campaign creation and optimization.
You can use Google documents to get support during online exams and browse your active Google Ads account. What about Google search engine? Yes, you can also use Google to find answers to questions, and you can even get answers to questions that have been answered after 2–3 clicks. Since you have unlimited trial rights and cannot access the exam history unless you share it, making copies will be meaningless and will prevent you from learning the issues you are missing.
Let’s get some ears. Below is a summary of some of the topics that you may encounter frequently.
The Difference Between Google Ads and AdSense
Google Ads is a platform that allows you to create ads on Google search results pages and partner sites. AdSense is a platform that enables publishers to get ads on their site and generate revenue. In summary, you can target publishers who want to generate revenue through Adsense using Google Ads on the advertiser side.
Does Google Ads Do SEO?
Although this issue is heated from time to time, I think that digital marketing experts will not deny the importance of both. While Google Ads allows you to get traffic quickly and dynamically, you can obtain free traffic from high cost words with SEO, and apply alternative strategies to acquire new users. If we consider that the ads in the Google search engine are starting to resemble organic results, companies that use SEO and Google Ads effectively will come to the fore.
The words you want to appear when advertising are actually certain. However, the more these words are expanded (provided that they are relevant), the more advantageous it is for the advertiser. Reduce costs, do not miss the potential in the market. At this point, it is useful to use Keyword Planner, the tool Google allows for free use. You can search for search volumes and cost-per-click bids by typing in the desired word or product.
Keyword Match Types
There are 5 different keyword match types used in search ads:
- Broad match: Synonyms can lead to misspellings, relevant searches, and sometimes irrelevant searches. (Not recommended)
- Broad Match Editor: Works with logic similar to broad match, but you can select the words that must be included in the keyword.
- Sequential Match: Allows you to include keywords that you type and bring different words to the beginning or end.
- Exact Match: Your ads will show when one-to-one keywords are typed.
Negative Match: You can add keywords that you want to exclude your ads as negative.
Google Ads Editor
It allows you to work fast and offline with Google Ads Editor, which serves in addition to the ad panel. You can make bulk edits in campaigns and get html outputs of campaigns. It allows you to work in an offline environment, allowing multiple experts to edit at the same time.
Quality Score is one of the most important metrics that increase success in Google Ads. The high quality score allows you to outperform your competitors with low cost-per-click. You can take a look at the details in our Quality Score Optimization article.
Analytics Integration with Google Ads
You can observe Google Ads metrics, create remarketing lists, and display bounce rate in Google Ads interface through Analytics, a free measurement service offered by Google. Learn more about the integration process.
Allow you to give users more information about your business, services, or products. Ad extensions used in addition to ad text are charged in the same way as ad clicks, at no additional cost.
- Sitelinks: You can use it to direct users to relevant pages within the site, except for ad text.
- Phone extensions: Allows users in the mobile to call by clicking the search button, while those entering from the computer will display the phone number in the ad text.
- Location extensions: Allows users to see where your business is on the map.
- Review extensions: If third-party sites have shared a post about you, you can add it to your ad.
- Additional information extensions: In addition to the ad text, you can give users detailed information about the products and services offered.
- App extensions: If you have a mobile app, you can make it appear below the ad text.
There are different types of ads you can create through the Google platform for different goals.
- Search Network: Used to reach users who only search for the keywords you select.
- Display Network: Allows you to advertise to the audience you choose with the images you prepare. If you make the wrong targeting, you can spend high budgets without getting a return.
- Shopping Ads: Uploads a product feed to the merchant center, allowing ads to be displayed on the Google search network with features such as images, prices, and descriptions.
- Video: You can advertise on Youtube with special images or videos.
- Universal app campaign: If you have a mobile app, you can promote your app on the search network, the display network and Youtube.